Monday, September 20, 2010

whiteSpace is EVERYTHING

One of the first things I learned about graphic design is that the presence of white space on a page is awesome! It makes everything look clean and organized, and that is important when selling anything. There is nothing I dislike more than an ad or flyer that has entirely too much going on. It makes me not want to look at it, let alone read it to retain info. Please, my brain just can't take it. I for one like things that are simply done. It just fits me and my personality. I have never been a flashy lady, and jeans and hoodies serve me quite well. I prefer to be in calm environments, and my fav drinks are simple (ie. water, OJ, vodka & cran). Anyone who knows me can vouch for this, so looking at semi-chaotic works are not really my thing.

One magazine that I adore is Real Simple (http://www.realsimple.com/). It's like it was created for me. Not only is the content great, but the layouts are so pleasing to my eyes. This magazine really demonstrates how white space should be used from a design aspect. Also, you can learn a few recipes and affordable fashion tips, which is always helpful!


The pic below is from the March 2010 cover.



3 comments:

  1. I am a fan of white space too, hence the name of my blog! It is oh, so delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, LOVE white space. You're right about it making a piece look clean and well organized. One of my clients at work has yet to grasp the whole concept, and inevitably every piece I submit to them they return with comments about filling up those "empty spaces" with something! I hope one day I will have a breakthrough with them, but until then I use white space elsewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jolie... white space is like pie... or any food I love.

    Michelle... yes. My boyfriend does that with things I'm working on. He tells me to add things in the empty spaces, and I'm like NO! Back up! :)

    ReplyDelete